Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Food Fight

Photo by Flickr

Yesterday I was subbing just for the afternoon for a 6th grade science teacher. I personally do not care for science but I don't mind subbing in that subject because teachers are usually great about leaving instructions and everything I need. Yesterday was no exception. The classes were very good-which gives me great hopes for the school year.



I also had to do lunch duty, which is not my favorite thing to do. For the first 30 minutes I had duty I was the only teacher there. Just me and about 300 students. Obviously there was more than I could handle. I was trying to admit students into the cafeteria which requires that I check to make sure that they have their ID's and that in itself is a job. I then was also supposed to be dismissing tables so that those students lined up at the door could come in for lunch. I couldn't handle everything by myself. Thank goodness the school police officer took pity on me and helped me by dismissing the tables. I couldn't have done it without her.



To make matters worse there were some students that decided to throw food. I have never understood the fun behind throwing food at someone. For one thing that means that you are having to pick up food with your fingers and in order for it to achieve any distance when it is thrown the food will probably be yucky. This food definitely fell into the goopy category-baked potato. Of course I didn't see who threw it and if I don't know who it is then I can't do anything to the student.



The other thing about throwing food is that if you are caught doing it then it is an automatic suspension. I realize that some students could care less about being suspended but why take the risk-just for a "thrill"?



Liz

No comments: