Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Cathedral Windows Quilt


Several years ago my mother decided that she would make each of us a quilt. She started with my children because they are my parent's only grandchildren. She made my daughter a quilt that was a difficult pattern. It was Grandmother's Garden or something like that. She made the entire quilt by hand-that's right, she pieced each individual piece of fabric by hand and then quilted it by hand. She told B that it was the only one that she would do like that. She had learned her lesson.


The next quilt she made for L and K. I can't remember the pattern name but she machine stitched the pieces together and hand quilted it. It is a really pretty quilt and they have it on the bed in their guest room.


The above picture is my mother and my quilt. It is a Cathedral Windows Quilt. Each piece is hand stitched and then it is attached to the other pieces by hand. It is kind of a "quilt as you go" method. Once the last piece is attached it is done. It took her a little over a year to complete it. Of course she didn't work on it continuously day in an day out. She lives on a farm...with cows. There are other things that need to be done besides quilting!


Next up-a quilt for one of my brother's.


Liz

No comments: