Thursday, September 11, 2008

Cheerleaders

I was never a cheerleader when I was in high school. I never had the desire to be one either. I just don't think that I had what it takes. Today I was a 7th grade language arts teacher who just happens to be the cheerleading coach. In the past when I have substituted for her sometimes the cheerleaders were very cooperative and sometimes they weren't. Today was an uncooperative day.

These girls are all 8th graders and since it is the beginning of the year they are still fine tuning the cheers and their dance. The teacher left one of the girls in charge and she got a taste of what it is like to be a leader that no one wants to listen to. She tried so hard to get them to follow directions (and I did the best I could to help her) but most of the time they ignored her, and me. At the end of the class she informed them that they would probably be running and conditioning on Monday.

The language arts classes though were great. I didn't have any problems with any of the students. So far this year my days have been really good. I haven't been called names nor have I had significant problems. I don't know if the students have just grown up over the summer or if my attitude is so much better. Whatever it is I just hope that it continues!

Liz

No comments: