Tuesday, December 2, 2008

My Favorite Advent "Calendar"

When my children were young I started a Christmas countdown. I would take 50 (25 per child) small bags (the size that you would use for a sack lunch) and number them. Inside I would put a little toy, some change, candy, a snack, etc. Each day they opened one bag until Christmas Day.

When I first started this it was easy to fill the bags. They were happy with a quarter, a candy cane, a Hot Wheels car, anything that was small and inexpensive. As they got older it was harder to find things that I could fill the bag with. One time when they were in high school I found some bubble gum that was shaped like crayons and came in a box that looked like a crayon box. That was a big hit, especially with my son.

I continued this until 2 years ago. By then my kids were in their 20's and it was extremely difficult to do it. I had done this the whole time my son was in college and had even done it when he was first married. I had thought of stopping it a few years before that but the kids mentioned how much they liked their bags so I did it for a few more years.

In a few years our grandchild will be old enough that I can start doing it again. It will be fun and I am looking forward to finding those inexpensive little things again.

Liz

No comments: