Thursday, January 22, 2009

Patty

I have to share thoughts about my friend Patty. She is such a blessing in my life and I hope that I am the kind of friend to her that she is to me.

We met when our oldest children were in kindergarten. Every day we would sit on the steps waiting for our children to be released from their afternoon of learning. Most of the other mothers had known each other since they were in high school so she and gravitated towards each other.

From kindergarten through 6th grade our children were in the same class. Not only were we friends but our children were friends also. After 6th grade she and her family moved into another area of town so our children would no longer be in the same school. After another year my family and I had moved to Albuquerque, then to Olathe, Kansas, and then to our present location.

Through those years we have remained friends. I have always said that you learn who your true friends are when you move away and there has to be an effort made to maintain that friendship. Patty has always put forth that effort and more.

When her youngest daughter was married in 2006 I was able to go to the wedding and for the first time in 6 years we were actually able to spend some time together. Last year she was able to come to our daughter's wedding and I was so thrilled to be able to share that day with her.

When our grandson was born the only person that I called (outside of family) was Patty. I knew that she would share my excitement and I will share hers when her oldest daughter has her baby this summer.

Right now, we are planning a trip to San Francisco in April. We are allowing our husbands to come and we are lucky that they get along with each other as well and Patty and I do. I am excited about it. This will be my third time to visit San Francisco but it will be her first and we will have so much fun-sharing a city I love with a friend that I love.

Liz

2 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

There's something about the friendships that women form that keeps our world sane. Families are necessary but friends are a gift. blessings, marlene

StitchinByTheLake said...

There's something about the friendships that women form that keeps our world sane. Families are necessary but friends are a gift. blessings, marlene