Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Customer Service

Photo from Flickr
I have worked retail before and I know that is can be difficult, especially when there are "challenging" customers. Many times I have tried to be helpful and find just the right item only to have the customer decide they would have to think about it. I always tried to be gracious and polite and still thank them for coming in-if it weren't for customers then I would not have had a job.

After going to a well known craft store today I suggest that anyone working retail needs to go to a training that teaches customer service. After making my purchase the cashier couldn't even thank me or put my items in a bag. As I was walking out I thought about it and realized that this isn't the only place that this kind of behavior occurs.

It doesn't take much time to be courteous but it can make a lasting impression. I am much more likely to patronize an establishment if I am treated with respect and my business is appreciated. I have taken the liberty to change a remark that a well known airline always says and think maybe it should be the motto of anyone dealing with the public: We know that you have choices when you shop and we appreciate when you choose us.

Liz

No comments: