Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Shack

For several months I have been hearing of the book The Shack by William Young. I had read several different blogs in which people had taken quotes from the book and given their opinion. People seemed to love the book and thought it was wonderful.

For those of you that have not read this book here is a brief synopsis of it. While on a camping Mack's daughter disappeared and it was assumed that she had been abducted and murdered. Three years after this event he receives a note asking to meet "Papa" at "The Shack". The chapters that follow revolve around his experiences at this shack.

After hearing people talk about it and some practically gushing over it I was expecting to read a wonderful book that would take a devastating event and show how God is always there for us and would give a plan of salvation in it. I was disappointed and it is not a book that I would recommend.

I do think that the book tells a moving story of how this event had affected this man as well as his family. I do not think that the book shows a true relationship with Christ and the plan of salvation. At times I thought that the book touched on New Age principles and I had a problem with that.

I realize that a lot of people have read this book and have a totally different opinion than I do and would recommend that everyone should read this book. I just happen to differ from them.

Liz

No comments: