Saturday, November 1, 2008

First Monday Trade Days

Today we went to Canton, Texas for First Monday Trade Days. If you are not familiar with this event, just think humongous flea market. This event has been held for a very long time-the first Monday of the month.

Since we have lived here we (my mother, my husband, my brother and I) have gone once a year to Canton. In the past we have gone in December but this year we decided to go in November. Another twist-my father decided to go. The fact that he wanted to go was earth shattering. This is a man that absolutely despises shopping. For years he has called me every year to go and get the Christmas gift that he will give to my mother. One time he even bought a car over the phone, in Albuquerque, New Mexico. He even sent my brother there to pick it up and drive it home. So the fact that he would want to go with us to Canton-a place that has so many people come that you can barely move through parts of it-was unbelievable.

We got up early an drove the hour or so to Canton. We get in line at the highway exit and my father is already saying that he has made a big mistake in coming. We park and cross the street and make our plans to meet back up for lunch. My mother and I walk around and look at things and do not buy anything because the thought of having to carry something around the rest of the day is not appealing, and there is no way we could ever remember our way back to that booth to buy it later. At lunch my father is now remarking that he will never do this again, he has learned his lesson. By the way-we decided that he would not ever come with us again.

When we split up again after lunch I thought that there was no way we could spend another 2 1/2 hours there but I thought that the rest of them might want to find some real bargains. My mother and I make our way through some more of the pavilions. She bought a candle and I bought a bag. We went to the car an hour early. My husband joined us about 30 minutes later and then my father and brother showed up about 20 minutes after that.

On the way home my father decided that it is in the Bible that to come to Canton is the unpardonable sin. We have all decided that next year we need a new family outing.

Liz

No comments: