Thursday, February 12, 2009

Storms



Tuesday night storms rolled through. The weather service reported there was possible tornado rotation at a mall close to our house. The tornado sirens were blaring and I was trying to get our dogs in the house so they could share the bathroom with us.

While I am trying to entice the dogs into the bathroom the wind started blowing extremely hard. After deciding that I wasn't sure which would kill me-a possible tornado or the dog smell -I could tell that the wind had died down although it was still pouring rain. I looked out the window and observed that the above tree was in the yard and partially on the street.

When the rain quit I went outside (mind you it was 10:00 and pitch black) and surveyed the damage. Thank goodness the tree had sustained the most damage but there were fence boards in the yard. One was even driven into the ground. My daughter had come over and we walked around our backyard to see if pieces of our fence were missing. Our fence was intact so she went home and I went to bed.

This morning I went out to take pictures and pick up twigs and small branches. I looked across the street and figured out where the fence boards had come from. The house directly across from ours was missing its fence. It was laying all over their backyard.

We have now determined, in our own unscientific manner, that we had some type of rotation or mini twister/tornado start to come down and didn't touch the ground but went back up into the sky.

I think this weekend we will be cutting up tree branches. Free firewood anyone?

Liz






No comments: