Saturday, February 21, 2009

My Husband


My husband Richard is the best thing that ever happened to me. He is patient and loves me and most of all he puts up with me. He has also endured my family, which can be somewhat overbearing-mainly my father. He loves them and is always willing to help them.

Approximately 7 years ago a brain tumor was discovered on the right side of my husband's head. When you first hear that diagnosis your whole world suddenly falls apart. In my usual fashion I started thinking the worst and I should have trusted God. I did go to Him in prayer and we had so many people praying for us during that week. After having many tests done it was determined that it was non malignant and that surgery wasn't needed. He was to have follow up MRIs done every year, which he faithfully did.

Fast forward to 2007. During those 5 years nothing had really changed but he suddenly started having "deja vu" episodes. They started out as brief episodes but as time went on these "events" increased. Not knowing what was happening Richard first went to a cardiologist. Those tests showed no abnormalities so the next stop was a neurologist.

The neurologist did more MRIs and it showed that the brain tumor had begun to change and the "events" were coming from the tumor. Medication would control them briefly and then the tumor would overcome the medication and the "events" would return. Finally in September of 2007 we went to see the neurosurgeon.

Dr. Bruce Mickey has to be the kindest most optimistic neurosurgeon around. I will admit that my experience with doctors with that speciality is limited but he has been nothing but encouraging to us. He explained everything to us and performed the surgery on September 13, 2007.

The recovery period is long and the recuperation involves many ups and downs. Although they were able to get 95% of the slow growing tumor it is always in the back of our minds that the symptoms would return.

Richard has to go to see Dr. Mickey every 6 months and have an MRI done. Yesterday was one of those visits. We can't help but get anxious when these visits roll around. The visit was good-nothing has changed and everything is stable.

I have learned so much during these past years. The most important thing I have learned is that God is there always, even when I feel that everything is falling apart. During Richard's surgery there were people praying for us-people we didn't even know. I felt so calm and optimistic during that time and I am usually the one that is falling apart. I know that it was only because of those prayers lifting me up and God hearing them.

If today you feel that your world has been shaken turn to God-He is the constant in this ever changing world.

Liz

Note: The visits to the neuro-oncologist and the neurosurgeon were very positive today (Monday). Things are stable-return in 6 months.

1 comment:

Tracy P. said...

Beautiful, Liz! May the Lord bless you and Richard with many many more wonderful years of serving Him together.