Wednesday, October 8, 2008

My Favorite Verse


When I was about 8 or 9 years old I was in Sunday School and was asked to read Psalm 56:3. I think that the Lord knew that I would need this verse for the rest of my life. It reads:
When I am afraid I will trust in you.
Throughout my life that verse has always given me much comfort. It came to my mind this morning as I was listening to the latest economic news. The economy doesn't seem to be bringing good news lately. My little stock account that I mess around with has lost about $500 in the last week and I don't even want to think of how much my husband's 401k has lost. I am just glad that we are not close to retirement age.
When I start to panic or worry about the future I reel myself in and try to meditate on what David wrote in Psalm. I think it is natural to start to worry even though we are told not to. I think that I go overboard in the worrying department but through it all I know that God is in control and I just have to trust him.
Does that mean that everyday life will be a bed of roses? NO! All anyone has to do is look at my life for the last 2 years and realize that isn't so. In 2 years we have had to deal with my mother in law moving closer to us (a 9 month process), a dislocated and broken ankle which required 2 surgeries, a breast cancer scare (turned out to be a radial scar), a daughter's wedding in which some people were uncooperative, and my husband's brain tumor and surgery to remove it. Through it all I know that God was there walking beside us and that people were praying for us. Was the journey an easy one-of course not, but we received blessings that we might not have experienced otherwise. Sometimes we have to endure the trial to reap the blessings.
Liz

No comments: